Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"We are all meant to be naturalists..."







Watching the kids enjoy the second snow of the season (the first was on Thanksgiving morning), I was reminded of another favorite quote by Charlotte Mason:

There is no kind of knowledge to be had in these early years so valuable to children as that which they get for themselves, of the world they live in. Let them at once get into touch with nature, and a habit is formed which will be a source of delight through life. We are all meant to be naturalists, each to his own degree, and it is inexcusable to live in a world so full of marvels of plant and animal life and to care for none of these things.

My Dad is certainly a naturalist, and I spent many days and nights outside fishing, camping, roasting hot dogs in the backyard, and looking at the many types of wildlife he would point out to me on some distant hill. While I am not the naturalist my father is, I do want the children to love and appreciate nature; but I love it more when something simple and beautiful like fresh snow makes it so darn easy!

Also, I'd like to point out that in the picture Maddie is collecting snow to make "snow cream" which is a concoction that tastes a lot like vanilla ice cream. It's really quite good, if it doesn't bother you that you're eating snow. Which, for some reason, kind of does bother me. ; )
Happy Winter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment