Wednesday, February 9, 2011

An Adventure with Chickens



Charlotte Mason said that each day a child needs :


1. Something or someone to love.

2. Something to do.

3. Something to think about.


With this fabulous idea in mind, as well as Maddie's strong need for a pet (really - her dream is to be a farmer when she grows up), we finally agreed on some pets that we thought we could all live with.

So, we recently bought 9 baby chicks with the intent to cuddle and play with them, raise them, and then enjoy their eggs when they start laying. I have to admit I have enjoyed these cute little puffballs so much more than I thought I would! I find myself watching them, worrying about them, and smiling at the cute little things they do. I might feel differently about them later when they become more work to care for, but right now I think they are great additions to the family.

The kids, of course, are loving them as well. They have named them Acorn, Fluffy, Lightning, Kahmunrah, Velociraptor, and honestly I can't remember the rest. We are, unfortunately, down to 8 chicks though, as one of them stopped thriving and passed away after the first night. The rest seem to be growing and doing well.

Anyway, we'll see how this adventure goes! We're sure enjoying this phase of raising them. The next step is for Greg to build a chicken coop...

No comments:

Post a Comment